538-ATZ EMBEDDED CONTROLLER INSTRUMENT SYSTEM
• Built-in PC compatible controller
• 33 MHz 80386 CPU
• 245 Mbyte hard disk
• 4 MByte RAM
• Printer port, two serial ports, IEEE-488 controller, and VGA interface
• Configures CDSbus as a multi-function, PC compatible instrument
• 10 function slots
53B-ATZ – PC/386 instrument System
OPT 01 – Math Co-processor
OPT 08 – 8 Mbyte Total RAM
OPT 11 – Delete Keyboard
OPT 16 – 16 Mbyte Total RAM
OPT 30 – Delete Hard Disk
OPT 34 – Windows™ Software• •Available U.S. only.
Note: Consult factory for availability of 80486 CPU.
The 53B-ATZ combines a complete ten-slot CDSbus™ Instrument System and an embedded Controller based on an IBM compatible PC-AT/33 MHz 386 computer, including one full sized PC-AT expansion slot into a single mainframe. This unique combination forms one of the fastest and most powerful card modular systems in the marketplace today. In many cases outperforming systems costing two and three times as much. The 53B-ATZ can operate either as a stand alone, self-contained CDSbus™ system, eliminating the need for an external system controller or computer, or as an intelligent node in a larger computer automated test (CAT) system.
The computer incorporated into the 53B-ATZ is optimized for test instrumentation and data acquisition applications. It includes:
– a 33 MHz 80386-based CPU (consult factory for 486 CPU configuration),
– an IEEE-488 interface port for control of external instruments,
– optimized CDS bus interface drivers that support test program development in C, QuickBASIC interpreted BASIC, and PASCAL,
– one parallel printer port and two serial interface ports,
– a 245 Mbyte hard disk,
– 4 Mbytes of zero wait state memory with options for 8 and 16 Mbytes.
– a 1.44 Mbyte 3.5 inch floppy drive,
– a VGA graphics adapter,
– an optional math co-processor,
– an AT-style keyboard
– a full length PC-AT expansion slot
All of this is packaged in a 53B-000 CDSbus™ instrument mainframe together with:
– a 53A-171 Control Card,
– a CDSbus™ chaining card (allows the user to add up to nine additional mainframes),
– all required power supplies and cables,
– rack ears, slides, and mounting hardware,
– a rear mounted butch plate for convenient access to external peripherals and the UUT/DUT.
After initial installation, the embedded System Controller may be operated either with or without a keyboard or display, giving the user the full functionality of a complete computer system with up to ten full function instruments. packaged as a standalone system in a unit just 10 1/4″ high.
The 538-ATZ performs all of the computer related functions critical to the proper operation of a test station:
– it can be the test station’s system controller. providing a full development environment as well as execution capability for application programs, or an intelligent node in a larger test strategy;
– it is an IEEE-488 compatible system controller,
– it is the CDSbus system controller.
It uses a 33 MHz 80386 based computer subsystem CPU coupled with an MS-DOS compatible operating system to provide a complete development and application program capability contained entirely within a mainframe. The computer subsystem includes the CPU, a socket for an optional floating point processor, hard drive, floppy drive, memory capacity, interface ports, expansion slot. and the IEEE-488 interface normally associated with a full function instrument controller.
MS-DOS compatibility allows test development to be done directly on the 53B-ATZ or on any PC compatible computer. It also allows use of the full set of software tools available in the MS-DOS workplace. including editors, compilers, assemblers, language processors, windows packages. etc. Several of these packages are available as standard options to the 53B-ATZ, including Windows™ and Microsoft’s C programming language. A fully licensed copy of MS-DOS is included as part of the 53B-ATZ. CDS developed Interpreted BASIC, QuickBASIC, C, and PASCAL CDSbus™ interface drivers, optimized for CDSbus™ performance, are also included.
The IEEE-488 interface port consists of hardware and software that fully implement the IEEE-488 standard, also known as GPIB. The interface is based on Capital Equipment Corporation’s PC<>488 Card and is fully compatible with all CEC software. It is also fully compatible with National Instruments’ software. (The IEEE-488 interface is an international standard that allows the system controller to communicate with over 2000 instruments made by over 200 manufacturers.) The IEEE-488 port can be used with applications programs in any of the popular programming languages used for instrument control applications. It can also be used without any programming to connect GPIB peripheral devices such as printers and plotters to the PC.
The IEEE-488 interface port’s key features include:
– implementation of the entire IEEE-488 standard. The port can operate as a system controller or a device.
– on-board firmware (software in read-only memory), which provides GPIB extensions for popular programming languages.
– a choice of programming methods: simply use the PRINT and INPUT statements of your programming language. or use CALLs directly to the firmware routines for maximum speed and flexibility.
– support of GPIB printers and plotters for use with MS-DOS, word processing. spreadsheet and graphics programs.
Embedded 33 MHZ 80386 computer, CDS bus interface, and IEEE-488 System Controller.
CPU, 80386, 33 MHZ.
Printer Port, One available (LPTI1).
Serial Port. Two available (COM1 and COM2).
Memory, 4 Mbyte, 80 nsec,
0 wait states.
DMA Channels, 0-7.
Video Port, VGA Adapter standard.
Floppy Disk, 1.44 Mbyte 3.5-inch.
Hard Disk, 245 Mbyte, 28 msec or better.
Hard Disk Interface, IDE,
Co-processor, Socket for optional math co-processor
BIOS. Phoenix BIOS.
DOS, Microsoft V5.O or later.
Expansion Slot PC-AT compatible, selectable for 8 MHz or 3 MHz operation (current available for expansion card is 3.5 amps of 5 volts).
I/O Address. 200h through 207h.
I/O Address, 2B8h through 2BFh
Firmware Address. C8000h.
IEEE-488. l Subsets Supported, SH1, AH1. TE5, LE3, SR1, DC1, DT1, RL1, PP0, C1-5, E1/2.
5°C to +45°C, operating
– 40°C to +85°C, storage
Less than 95% R.H. non-condensing, -10°C to +30°C.
Less than 75% R.H. non-condensing, +31°C to +40°C.
Less than 45% R.H. non-condensing, +41°C to +55°C.
Signal Connectors Located on Butch Plate:
VGA Video Port Socket.
DE-9P Serial Port Plug(2).
DB-25S Printer Port Socket.
5-pin DIN Keyboard Connector
24-pin IEEE-488 Standard Connector.
OPT 01, math co-processor.
OPT 08, 8 Mbyte total RAM.
OPT 11, delete keyboard.
OPT 16, 16 Mbyte total RAM.
OPT 30, delete hard disk.
OPT 34, Windows™ Software*. * Available in U.S. only.
47030-54002 Mainframe Slides, (Pair).
47000-54026 Rack Ears (Pair).
41550-54001 Internal Power Supply.
53A-171 Control Card.
53B-153 PC 386 Embedded Computer.
46999-00932 AT Compatible Keyboard.